The Welshpool and Llanfair Railway was completed around 1906 sponsored by the Earl of Powys. This made Mrs Powys a bit jealous because the earl had built his train-set just to carry his tenants produce to market and rail transfer in Welshpool for his own profit or so the rumour goes!!! So Mrs Powys decid-ed to build her own railway so that she could visit her friends in Oswestry and go shopping with them. The Light Railway Order was granted on 12 September 1899, although modifying Orders were needed in 1904 and 1908 to assist in raising capital. So was born the ‘Tanat and Heniarth’ Railway. Our part of it centres around Brynllwyd. A village somewhere between Heniarth and Tanat
The first sod was cut at Porthywaen on 12 September 1899 by the Countess of Powys but con-struction did not start until July 1901. During the construction period, The builder arranged to convey pas-sengers free of charge on market days over part of the line. Some goods traffic probably also passed at this time. Contemporary travellers reported: The little six-wheeled engine … was spinning along a quite a rate, considering its small wheel diameter; the carriage was a four-wheeled one, painted a dull red, and probably used at other times to convey the navvies to and from their work.
Brynllwyd is an impression of the Welsh Narrow Gauge railways situated somewhere in Wales.